Why you should ...
State by State
NSW, Qld, SA, Vic, WA
“LGBTI” is an acronym referring to a group of identities that includes lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans/transgender and intersex people and other sexuality, and gender diverse people.
The Communist Party affirms its support for equality for all people regardless of sexual preference.
Capitalism uses the tactic of targeting and demonising minorities within the community as a way of dividing the working class and distracting them from the true economic and social problems that exist within a society. The Communist Party calls for full equality under the law and in society for the LGBTI community by removal of all discriminatory laws which continue to exist.
The CPA supports the following policies:
- Recognise same sex and gender variant marriages.
- Strengthen anti-discrimination legislation to protect lesbians, gay men, bisexuals, trans and intersex people, and people living with HIV.
- Remove existing exemptions from anti-discrimination legislation in relation to employment for private schools, the insurance industry, the tax system, superannuation etc.
- Legislate against the use of non-violent homosexual “advance” as a defence of “provocation” in violent crime.
- Extend same sex relationships equal status with heterosexual de factos in superannuation, immigration, taxation, welfare, family law, industrial relations and any other laws and regulations.
- Reduce the age of consent for sex between men to 16 years.
- Provide government funding for gay, lesbian, bisexual, trans people and intersex youth programs including refuges and housing services, health services, coming out, self-esteem and suicide prevention programs.
In addition, the Communist Party calls for public funding for anti-discrimination and anti-violence programs, and firmer laws regarding the separation of religion and government.