- The Guardian
- Issue #2085
It seems there are no limits to the depths to which the Albanese government will sink in following the US and Zionist, apartheid Israel and its abominable genocide. Israel’s actions are criminal, and the government must be held to account. So much for the ALP’s preaching of human rights and ‘western values,’ when it supports slow and cruel death by starvation and the constant bombing of civilians.
The Albanese government has lost all credibility. The Australian people must speak up.
Australia must carry out its obligations under the Genocide Convention.
What can I do?
In particular, you can:
- Write letters to the Editor
- Use social media
- Ring talkback radio
- Join protest actions such as rallies and marches
- Join Unions for Palestine
- Write to your MP and Senators
- Write to PM Anthony Albanese and Foreign Minister Penny Wong
- Explain the situation to your friends, work colleagues and family.
Why it will help
Politicians know that for every person who goes to the trouble of contacting them, ten others who didn’t make the effort agree. You’re not just one person here! You are speaking for the many who agree with you but don’t take that step. Similarly, even if your call doesn’t get on the radio, the talkback station will register what your point was. On social media, every use of a hashtag like #FreePalestine is registered. Our politicians keep careful note of these things.
People who know you might only be consuming biased mainstream news from the likes of Nine and Newscorp. If you explain what’s really going on, it could open their eyes!
Points you might make:
- Call for immediate and lasting ceasefire
- Call for immediate restoration of funding of the aid agency UNWRA
- Australia should take an independent stand
- End all diplomatic relations with Israel
- Support the creation of a Palestinian state
- Halt all military and other assistance to Israel, including closing the Pine Gap spy station
- Place sanctions on Israel including Israeli companies in Australia.
It’s time Australia showed real leadership and made a genuine commitment to international law and human rights.
Ruling under Article 2 of Genocide Convention (GC2)
- Israel shall take all measures within its power to prevent all acts within the scope of C2
- Israel must immediately ensure that its military does not commit acts within the scope of GC.2
- Direct and punish all members of the public who engage in the incitement of genocide against Palestinians
- Ensure provision of urgently needed basic services, humanitarian aid
- Prevent the destruction of and ensure the preservation of evidence to allegation of acts of GC.2
- Israel will submit report as to how they’re adhering to these orders to the ICJ within 1 month.
Article 2 of the Genocide Convention:
Genocide means any of the following acts committed with intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnical, racial or religious group, as such:
- Killing members of the group;
- Causing serious bodily or mental harm to members of the group;
- Deliberately inflicting on the group conditions of life calculated to bring about its physical destruction in whole or in part;
- Imposing measures intended to prevent births within the group;
- Forcibly transferring children of the group to another group.